Wednesday, 30 June 2010

La Messicole: references

Last but not least, I'll post some works from different people, who inspired me or helped me during the progress of creating my film :D Nothing exists just by itself, there is always influence and inspiration, "everything flows" as I learned before. First to mention are of course my coursemates and lecturers. You'll find their works on some of the links on my blog. Besides the obvious influence from the painting which was of course from the fabulous Paul Gauguin, here are just some more references...

This great piece, directed by my mentor Peter Baynton from Tandemfilms – who was a great help for me throughout the whole course (Thanks again, Peter!) – has helped me in the decision of how to design the backgrounds. I spent some time thinking about how I would do the background artworks and tried different styles. I wasn't that satisfied with most of it. Gauguins paintings are well thought-out. Each form, positive or negative, every colour in relation to every other colour, every proportional distortion in relation to space or perspective is like it is for some reason that Gauguin wanted. Most certainly he was aware of the peacock-tail-like assiciation to the red animal, as well as the mystery about what animal it is anyway. No way I had time or skills for something like that. I decided not to think about my backgrounds, I just made some brush strokes and scanned them in. I liked the white bits in the backgrounds of Peter's film, which were made by a very talented chap called Ben Fiquet. I'm not that good in watercolour painting anyway and it was a clever way of keeping loads of work on backgrounds away and keeping everything simple and easy to look at and best of all: easy to compose. So I adapted this kind of style to my backgrounds. You get away with a lot of crap like slipping feet and stuff when the ground is white. Not that in my animation there are any slipping feet...

Two Little Girls from Tom Baker on Vimeo.

I used to watch these scenes from Princess Mononoke very closely to figure out human and four-legged running:


This work by some very talented graduates from Gobelins has been usefull for the animal movement as well:


I posted this some time before, it is one of my favorite Flash animations. Inspired me to a more handmade look in Flash animation and the use of depth in flat 2D animation and some facial expressions, which are kept rather subtle, but I liked that. Great work by Nelson Boles.

This one time... from nelson boles on Vimeo.

I posted this one before as well. It was also helpful to figure out running and action scenes as well as camera angles, compositing and animation. Really, really good.

Vegeterrible from Henrik Sønniksen on Vimeo.

The concept artworks by Miyazaki for Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away have deliberately influenced my way of using watercolour and character design. I frequently studied the "art of" books to both of these films.


I researched for the traditional clothing of the farmers in Brettany at around the end of the 19th century and found different things like these (amongst some other paintings by Paul Gauguin)


A photograph of female farmers. Actually they're bulgarian ones, but the dressing is similar.

Paysannes Bretones by Emile Bernard.


Jeune Paysanne by Matisse.

Paysannes Bretones by Paul Gauguin.

Most certainly I was highly influenced by my father's work. It influenced me not only for this project, but always, as he kept teaching me about art and life ever since. Thank you Dad for being the most awesome Dad ever! Check out his fabulous artworks on his website: www.stummy.de

My brother Robin, who composed and performed the joyful guitar piece that is essential for this film was a great influence. Actually I had his music in my mind before even the rough animation was worked out. I had a feeling that I would like to create something that could share the feelings that his music is giving to me, in a visual way. The film shouldn't be watched without the music, they're considered by me to be perceived as one piece of art. There is no need to describe anything more, as the music and the film say it all. Thank you a lot, Robin! He is a product and graphic designer, check out his website: www.guywhodesigns.com

Nature, the best teacher and never outrunning source of inspiration to me, has provided some life studies for me, some day while I was animating and taking a short walk around the block. I saw this fox in a yard in Southwark. The way he looked at me influenced the way I made the creature look at Chloé, when she first sees it. I had my cam with me and took this kind of blurry picture:


Another life study support by nature were some poppies growing in a yard where there was only conrete and them. They were grouped next to some cereals.



They seem to like each other, don't they. Sad that due to the excessive use of herbicides, cerealfields with poppies are not so commonly seen anymore. However, right after having finished the animation, I went to a short trip with my girlfriend outside London, and we happened to see this picture. What else should I say to that...

No comments:

Post a Comment